CRA Recap: Bates, Ming Unanimously Endorsed; Steel, Brough, Harper Endorsed; CD-45 Deadlock
Posted by Chris Nguyen on March 1, 2014
OC Political live-blogged the Orange County CRA endorsements this morning. Here’s the quicky recap for those of you who just want the results:
- Supervisor Patricia Bates was endorsed by unanimous consent for the 36th Senate District.
- Laguna Niguel Councilman Robert Ming was endorsed by unanimous consent for the 5th Supervisorial District.
- Board of Equalization Member Michelle Steel was endorsed for the 2nd Supervisorial District, defeating Assemblyman Allan Mansoor 28-9.
- Dana Point Councilman Bill Brough was endorsed for the 73rd Assembly District, defeating Rancho Santa Margarita Councilman Jesse Petrilla 12-3, with former Laguna Niguel Councilman Paul Glaab receiving no votes.
- Huntington Beach Mayor Matt Harper was endorsed for the 74th Assembly District, defeating Newport Beach Councilman Keith Curry 14-3.
- In the 45th Congressional District, Supervisor John Moorlach and Senator Mimi Walters fought through three rounds, but the convention deadlocked, so no endorsement was made in this race. In the first round, Walters got 13 votes while Moorlach got 12, and retired United States Marine Corps Colonel Greg Raths received no votes. Walters and Moorlach advance to a second-round run-off, in which they tied with 12 votes each. In the third and final round, Walters got 14 votes while Moorlach got 9 votes. It required a 2/3 vote to endorse, so CD-45 failed to produce an endorsement.
All other races on the June ballot will be considered in three weeks on Saturday, March 22.