Santa Ana Councilman Bustamante Arrested for 12 Felonies, Including Assault, Attempted Sexual Battery, False Imprisonment
Posted by Chris Nguyen on July 2, 2012
The Office of District Attorney Tony Rackauckas has issued a media advisory indicating that Santa Ana City Councilman Carlos Bustamante (the former Director of Administrative Services for OC Public Works) has been arrested for twelve felonies: grand theft by false pretense, stalking, attempted sexual battery by restraint, three counts of assault with the intent to commit a sexual offense, and six counts of false imprisonment. The arrest also included four misdemeanors and a sentencing enhancement, according to the media advisory:
Orange County District Attorney
WHO: Orange County District Attorney (OCDA) Tony Rackauckas
WHAT: Will hold a press conference to discuss the criminal charges against Santa Ana City Councilman and former administration manager for Orange County Public Works Carlos Bustamante.
Bustamante was arrested today, Monday, July 2, 2012, at 4:30 p.m. by OCDA Investigators on six felony counts of false imprisonment, three felony counts of assault with the intent to commit a sexual offense, one felony count each of stalking, attempted sexual battery by restraint, and grand theft by false pretense, and one misdemeanor count each of battery, assault, sexual battery, and attempted sexual battery with a sentencing enhancement allegation for committing the offenses as a result of sexual compulsion and for the purpose of sexual gratification.
WHEN: Tomorrow, Tuesday, July 3, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
Media will be permitted to set up beginning at 8:00 a.m.
WHERE: Law Library of the OCDA’s Office, 401 Civic Center Drive W., Santa Ana
Here’s the coverage from the local news media:
- OC Register: Ex-county official arrested on sex charges
- LA Times: Santa Ana councilman arrested on sex charges
- CBS 2 / KCAL 9: Santa Ana City Councilman Arrested On Sexual Battery Charges
- NBC 4: Santa Ana Councilman Carlos Bustamante Arrested on Several Felony Counts
- KTLA Channel 5: OC Councilman, Carlos Bustamante, Accused of Sexual Misconduct
- ABC 7: Santa Ana City Councilman Carlos Bustamante arrested, charged with sexual battery, assault
- KFI-AM 640: OC Councilman Arrest
- KPCC-FM 89.3: Santa Ana councilman Bustamante arrested on over a dozen charges, including 6 felonies
- Voice of OC: Santa Ana City Councilman Arrested on Sex Charges
- OC Weekly: Carlos Bustamante, Santa Ana Councilmember, Arrested on Charges of Sex Crimes/Stalking/False Imprisonment
The Associated Press has the story too, as shown here in the San Jose Mercury-News.
Elected in 2004, Bustamante is the Santa Ana Council’s sole Republican. He is eligible to run for a third term, but this arrest makes that campaign extremely unlikely.